Saturday 2 July 2011

BBC2 Summer and Autumn Schedule

I'm aware this was released end of June, something you will realise about this blog is its lack of FINGER ON THE PULSE action. What can I say, I commute a lot nowadays and don't read as much comedy news as I should.
I don't know if there are highlights as such; I will admit I don't watch as much television comedy as I should. The Brain Tree (Braintree? I don't know what my name is anymore) of old would watch anything but something happened and disillusionment set in. I hope this blog will encourage that again but who knows.

Anyway as we aren't using highlights 'things that stuck out for me' are the new Rab C Nesbitt. I struggled with the last series, it was a return after many years but there were so many cast changes and deaths over the years that it didn't feel like Rab C Nesbitt. In particular Gash, Rab and Mary's son became a new actor, not just any actor but an actor so young looking he was probably young enough to be the original Gash's son.

Ricky Gervais is BACK, BACK, BACK with  Life's Too Short where he takes the mickey out of the disableds in an ironic way but he's not doing it for himself, he's doing it to reveal the real bigots. Like that Alf Garnett or something. The most interesting thing about Life's Too Short is how samey it seems to be to Gervais and Merchant's other work. I know "If ain't broke, don't fix it' is reasonable motto to live by but it is also incredibly dull. Is anyone excited about this, let me know if you are.

Nothing about the upcoming schedule has got rid of that disinterest I feel about television comedy. I will give this a glance, but only to end up slagging it off on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment